another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Tangled Dragon

Ha! My 9th level rogue killed a large blue dragon with only a Tanglefoot Bag!

Ah, there's nothing quite so fun, so cinematic as that.

Of course I'm talking about Dungeons and Dragons. There's also non-D&D stuff in this post -- so you can scroll down, Mom!

Kathy, Ryan, and I played Dungeons and Dragons last Saturday with three other friends, in a long, long delayed session. Matt was our judge.

The dragon was probably going to go down anyway, as Ryan could blast it with spells and Duc had a bow suited for dragon slaying. However, it was my turn, and I was only about 15 feet from the dragon, which was hovering over a crevasse. I didn't have anything I could really do to hurt it much, but I could hinder it a bit by getting it slightly tangled up. So, I threw the tanglefoot bag (basically, you can think of it as a bag of tar).

The dragon failed it's reflex saving throw, so it got its wings tangled. It couldn't fly any more! So it fell into the crevasse. And it took 56 points of damage (I'm not sure how far the fall was to know how many dice of damage that was). 56 points was not nearly enough to kill the dragon, but it was enough to force a massive damage fortitude saving throw. Which, again, the dragon failed. Dead dragon.

Maybe not David v. Goliath, but in a similar vein. Failing both saving throws was probably a 1 in 100 shot, or worse. It would have eventually fallen to the sorcerer (Ryan) and the archer with the dragon-bane bow (Duc), but this was a better story.

♦ ♦ ♦

It hasn't been quite so busy this week, so I'm catching up on some of the work things that need to get done, and even a couple at home. If I can clear the work tasks, then I can feel freer to not check on things on the weekend -- thus leaving some time to catch up at home.

One thing standing in my way a bit, and one thing I need to work on, is that my personal laptop suddenly decided to crap out on me last Friday night. I was in Excel/HeroForge editing my character sheet, and suddenly the laptop froze. It seems like it may be a power problem, but we'll see. At the very least, what I need to do next is take out the hard drive, make sure I can still access everything, and then get it backed up. Then I'll figure out what I'll need to do to deal with the power.

♦ ♦ ♦

In other news, Ryan got a job at the AMC Cantera 30 movie theater (after his gig as "Halloween Expert" at Party City). I'll put that here, because you'll never see it on his blog. So now three of my four kids will have worked that theater (four of five if I extend that to Narf -- and I will!).

And, hopefully Matt and Kalen will have a bit more luck after we got their resumes in better shape last night. Their resumes were way too generic, where both really have some specific skills that should have been played up better.

More tomorrow night - promise. I've been thinking of too many things to blog about, and then not getting it done. So, I'll try to at least get a quick note when I have those thoughts, and flesh it out later.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home