another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Foul !

It's been a pretty relaxing weekend. I did put a few hours of work in, but it's mostly been a chance to kick back before what I expect will be a very busy week ahead.

Saturday morning I checked on a few things for work and everything looked well. I then got a call from the manager here saying we'd meet in the afternoon at 3pm. Since this was about 10:30am by this point it broke up the day a bit too much to do a lot. I went over to the mall that's just down the street here, bought a Games magazine and a couple of shirts at Sears (yes, I actually went clothes shopping for myself!).

The 3pm meeting turned out to be about 2hours worth of ... nothing really. There wasn't much to look at on the system yet, but we sat around talking about it nonetheless.

So, later in the evening I managed to break away, and it was a close call as to whether to go to the Indians game or "The Simpsons Movie". The movie won out, mainly because there was a bit of threat of rain and I was more interested in going to a day game.

Google maps failed me for once, though. It got me to the theater, but it took me the long way. I just jotted down the directions, but I should have paid more attention to the map. By the time I got to the theater, I found it was just off of the interstate that I started on, but the direction had me take another interstate south, then a road east and another back north. Maybe I just copied the address in to the search wrong, because today it gives me the right directions.

The movie was quite good. It was up there with a lot of really good episodes (though not up with the best). The TV-style animation was a little rough for the big screen (different expectations), and the sound had some problems with indiviual voices (which, after talking to Matt, I decided must be a problem with the theater). But, the story was good, pretty much every major character got their bits, and there was something for pretty much every fan. And, be sure to stay through the very, very end of the credits -- through the usual Gracie Films "shhh" close. I'd have thought that was obvious, but I was the only one left in the theater by the time the Springfield Anthem was sung, and that wasn't even the last joke.

One thing happened in our theater that Matt confirmed happened when he saw it too: because the "Spider-Pig" bit was on all the TV trailers, when that came on EVERYONE started singing along! That just made the whole thing funnier. And the Spider-Pig theme comes up several times.

Today I checked my work e-mail and checked system status, and all seemed well and there was no indication of meeting. So, I decided to go to the Indians game. I sat in the upper deck, second row, and just a bit to the first-base side of home. It was a good close game, well pitched, but the Indians disappointed the home fans by giving up the lead in the 8th on a couple unearned runs.

The game was pretty well attended, so everything except the nosebleed seats way down the outfield line was pretty full. A family of four came in and sat beside me, and the dad, after first sitting next to me, decided to switch seats with one of his daughters (maybe 6 years old) to avoid having both of us big guys crowded together. She was a bit apprehensive/shy, but agreed.

At the beginning of the 9th the folks in front of me left the game, so I stepped over and sat in the first row to free up some more space (our row was still full, and by that time the mom of the family was by me). The two girls decided it looked like fun to sit in the front row, a moved down with me (with one seat in between, for safety from my bite).

In the bottom of the ninth a foul ball came up our way, directly to my left. I was a bit slow noticing, so touched the ball by didn't catch it at first. It landed in the seat beside me, rolled to the section floor, and I picked it up -- then handed it to the younger of the sisters. I told her dad (who was very appreciative) that she deserved it for being stuck with me earlier.

I don't need a ball, but I did get the story out of it!

And that's it. I think I'll go grab some dinner. My guess is that there will be a lot more to do at work starting tomorrow (new features are being turned on tonight, and testing will start in earnest), so the rest of the week may be work, work, work, dinner, sleep. I'll post if anything else interesting comes up.

4 Comments:

  • So, was the little girl less scared of you after you handed her the ball? That's terrible that you go around scaring little children all the time!
    :)

    By Blogger Nurse Penguinladi, at 7/29/2007 10:21 PM  

  • I think, after watching the movie a second time a bit ago, that there really is a problem with the sound sometimes. I wasn't really paying too much attention to it, so I didn't really notice it until right at the end, and it was glaringly obvious with Martin's line. And then again with Bart about 30 seconds later. Those are the only instances I really noticed it.

    By Blogger Matt, at 7/29/2007 11:32 PM  

  • So are you on tv for the foul ball? I don't think they really film those, though.

    The sound seemed fine to me. And I've seen it twice today. The clip you're talking about, I'm wondering if you mean right before the Gracie Films ending. There's only one after the anthem, right? I stayed 'til the Gracie Films ending, so I don't know if there is anything after. Or if that's even what you're implying.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/30/2007 12:44 AM  

  • Ellen - I don't know that the girl was ever really scared of me. I think she was more shy. I don't even remember her saying anything after I gave her the ball. Her dad thanked me multiple times, though. :-)

    Narf - The foul may have been on TV (probably wasn't), but if it was it would have been on local Cleveland TV, so it's really unlikely anyone could even tell me if it was.

    By Blogger TT, at 7/30/2007 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home