another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Tuesday, June 26, 2007


It was a great tackle. Clotheslined the guy around the neck and brought him right down, so that everyone else could pile on.

Fun at the old ballpark.

But first, some catch-up. Saturday I had a six-hour monitoring shift that was, thankfully, very quiet and uneventful. Then I came home and relaxed, not having a lot of energy.

Sunday, I slept in to try to recover some of the sleep-debt. That only partially worked, and I still didn't feel like I had any energy.

Yesterday, I went worked, then went to the Cubs game. The game was pretty fun, with the Cubs scoring early and often. It looked like all was going well, with the Cubs having an 8-3 lead going into the 9th inning.

Then it all started coming apart. Scott Eyre shouldn't have been used for a third inning (when he struggled even earlier), and he couldn't get anyone out in the ninth. He left with runners on second and third, one run in, no outs.

Bobby Howry probably shouldn't have been used to close three straight games. He gave up three straight hits, including the homerun that put the Rockies in the lead 9-8.

Everyone in the crowd was stunned. That is, except the fan who charged the mound. He was waving his hands and shouting at Howry, seemingly asking how Howry could give up that lead.

And then the ball boy arrived and clotheslined the guy. A tremendous takedown - I hope someone has that guy playing linebacker. Other security folks soon got there, piled on to keep the fan under control, and drag him off to his jail cell.

Howry then got the next three outs, and the Cubs left the field to boos.

And, then, it turned around again.

Single by DeRosa. Strikeout by Pagan. Fielder's choice by Bowen. Two out, runner on first.

Then Hill singled. Then Theriot hit a simple ground ball to second that the secondbaseman muffed, everyone safe.

And then Soriano came through with a single and the place went nuts. Cubs win, 10-9. And everyone was just so taken by the whole thing that almost noone moved for about three or four minutes. It was like a playoff win where everyone just wanted to enjoy it. They didn't even get the usual post-game, Cubs-win music playing (I never did hear it start).

Bob and I hung around for a few minutes, and then decided to make our break out of the stadium before everyone started moving. I was still way ahead of everyone when I got to the stadium exit, and made it through the turnstiles for the El with absolutely no line.

And, I didn't go to the game tonight, but watched it on TV and it was almost a replay. The Cubs did manage to stop the bleeding earlier tonight, though, so they didn't have to go through losing the lead.

Anyway, that's it for now. I need to go to bed so I can get up for work (and another monitor session) in the morning.

Today is the 2nd anniversary of the second (and third) posts on this blog. I didn't quite make it to 200 posts yet -- that'll be the next post. See you then!


  • Here's the link to the story in the Tribune.,1,7974973.story

    By Blogger Kamie, at 6/26/2007 11:41 PM  

  • Okay, that link is apparently too long. Try this one instead.

    By Blogger Kamie, at 6/26/2007 11:44 PM  

  • Enjoyed reading he Trib article, too. What a turnaround for the Cubs to win after nearly blowing it. ET

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/27/2007 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home