another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Friday, October 21, 2005

Spam, Eggs, Sausage, and Spam

"That's not got much spam in it."

So, I'm looking for your opinion:
Should I go full time with the word screening on comments, to try to prevent any spam from showing up?

Or should I just delete the blog spam as it shows up, as I have been doing?

I don't want to add any obstacles to people commenting, because I like lots of comments! Everyone comment on this!

And, just an an exercise, I won't delete any of the spam comments on this posting. Let's see what shows up. (That is, unless it gets out of hand or it's clear that it's not just auto-spam stuff).

The previous post, the D&D one, got three four spam comments within a couple minutes. I think most of the auto-spam software is keying off the "recent posts" in Blogger, so it probably doesn't get much spam after those few minutes.

And, since I have it up to quote properly above, I present The Spam Sketch

4 Comments:

  • I became quickly impatient with it on mine and so went with the screening option. Your point about the auto-spam window probably being a breif one's a good one, though. Still, I didn't like the idea that I was going to have posts to delete every time I posted something.

    It's tough to get a fix on how many will go through the extra filtering step to make a post and who'll just skip it... which is why you're asking.

    If you don't mind the clean-up each time -- or even leaving them there at the risk of some unwary, naive soul thinking you're somehow endorsing their wares -- then you may get more comments. On the other hand, if someone's going to be deterred by having to type in a brief alphanumeric string, then what are you likely to be missing?

    By Blogger Mike Norton, at 10/21/2005 11:07 PM  

  • Hopefully everyone can spot blog spam. See the first two comments on this post for examples. :-)

    Yeah, I don' expect that the word verification is that big an obstacle, but cleaning up the spam isn't really all that terrible either, as long as I hang around a little after posting. I note that the spam on this post both came within a few minutes of posting.

    Yahoo groups has fairly annoying word verification, mainly because it's hard for me to read what letters they really intend. Blogger's word verification is a lot clearer.

    By Blogger TT, at 10/22/2005 12:24 AM  

  • This whole spam issue is strange and new to me. I mean, of course I get it in the mail, but not on either of my blogs.

    PLUG: http://journals.aol.com/leuszlermike/websitedesignermike
    is my new business related blog and is totally seperate from http://openmike.blog-city.com
    my personal blog.
    END OF PLUG

    Anyway, even though you consider it spam, the Bart Simpson thing was kind of interesting, and had a few high powered keywords in it that may draw random visitors. If you wanted to ambush people into visiting your blog, I'd keep that entry up. lol.

    Seriously, though, if it's really that bad, you might want to go to another service for your blogging needs.

    If it's nothing more than a few keystrokes to delet the stuff, then by all means, take that route and delete it.

    In either case, I would get ahold of Norton and other fellow Blogger users, and ask them to post their complaints. Somebody at Blogger should take notice.

    One would hope.

    Mike

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/25/2005 2:31 PM  

  • OK, more than four years later I got another spam post on this thread. I deleted it, and the other two that had been on this.

    Spam on blogger has picked up a bit of late (I really think it's just there to boost link counts for the search engines). I get e-mail when a comment is left - though it seems like a few have crept in without notifying me. I'll have to consider if I need a different plan.

    By Blogger TT, at 3/20/2010 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home