another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Memorial Service

Yesterday afternoon was the memorial service for my mom. The pastor couldn't do much with the eulogy since he'd only met my mom a couple times, and not at her peak by any means. He referred to some of her projects she was doing as "knitting", though I've never known her to knit -- rarely would she even crochet, and I don't think she had any yarn anywhere that she'd been getting at recently. It didn't matter, he did remember what she'd told him enough to use it as the main thrust.

The best part, though, was earlier in the service when he opened up the floor for testimonials, and easily a dozen people spoke of what she'd done and meant for them -- from church people to school administrators to former students, with one of my best friends from high school and college topping it off with a bit of levity. It was a very good service. It also got to me when I saw one of the floral arrangements was sent from the class of 1987 -- always important when student recognize a former teacher, though we were trying to figure out whether there was something special about the class of 1987 with Mom -- I think it must have been the first graduating class when she moved over to the high school from the junior high, so they would have had her in both places.

Anyway, that's it for now. We spent today getting a bit of stuff organized around the house here. I mainly tried to get some order on her desk while Ellen packed clothes and also cleaned out the computer room closet. Bob cleaned out several areas and worked on organizing recipe printouts with Kathy. Then this evening we had dinner with Ellen's family and played a game of Hawaiian Rummy with Beth and Rachel. We have a bit of business to take care of tomorrow, then back home for now. We'll be back here in two weeks for Christmas, and then probably for a few days in January to do more organization of stuff.

1 Comments:

  • I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Tim. I was really looking forward to meeting her. From what Kalen's told me, the rest of trip has gone well, and I'm thankful for that. I'll be keeping the family in my prayers.

    By Blogger Cody Jones, at 12/10/2007 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home