another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Scraping Together the Energy

Time to scrape together the energy for a blog post.

Today wasn't so bad. Not, like, terrific. But not bad. We worked 'til about 8:15 - 8:30 pm, and I don't have to stay up until weird hours tonight. So I can get to bed at a reasonable hour (midnight), and get up 7 hours later. Rather than 4.5 or 6.

Last night I was up working until 2:30 am, then wound down a bit until almost 3:00. That was after putting in a full day, 8:30 to 8-ish, trying to find something reasonable to eat (I settled for Wendy's, so I failed), then working at the hotel from 10:00pm on. At least today I was able to sleep in a bit later, getting up at 9:00. After getting showered and dressed I then made the mistake of logging in to work, and got stuck doing a variety of things until close to noon. Then drove into the office and got in 8 hours there.

I'm not posting so much as I'm babbling.

Anyway, tonight no commitments. And in the morning I won't log into word before driving in.

Again, pretty much everything that I'm doing could be done from my office in Illinois. The one thing that is worthwhile being here is meeting with some other folks in other areas, and trying to concentrate on working the problems of just the Baltimore/Washington market rather than a dozen-plus other markets. I guess the concentration is somewhat important. The folks I'm working with - about half I've met and/or worked with via e-mail or IM. The team is pretty decent. One guy I work with all the time, but his office is in Ohio so I don't see him much.

Working face-to-face is good. So much of the time when in my office in Illinois, even working with folks just down the hall, the interaction is via IM, e-mail, or phone, and it loses a lot. I'm one who, if I need to talk to someone a couple halls over, will actually WALK TO THAT PERSON'S OFFICE, rather than IM or phone.

I don't think this is much of a post, but it will do for now. Tomorrow night I don't think I have any commitments either, so look for the next chapter of babbling tomorrow. Maybe I'll even say something coherent.

For now, it's bedtime.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds like you are having fun :-). I've got to agree though that interacting face-to-face is important. For senior project we can get a lot more done in a shorter amount of time if we are sitting in the same room, even when working independently, because if you have a question about something someone else did or is doing, you can turn around and ask them. If not in the same room, you have to wait for them to answer an e-mail, or hope you get lucky in answering their phone. And even then, pointing to code is better than trying to explain what you are talking about.

    For my Security research project, my teammates are scattered (one in St. Louis, one in Texas), so interaction tends to be slow. At least now we have set up a Ventrilo server (and specified meeting times every week), so it should be better than what we were doing (e-mail)

    By Blogger Matt, at 2/21/2007 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home