another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

iPod, You Pod, We all Pod ...

No, I'm not keeping up with daily updates. We'll see if I do better tomorrow.

Today, I was swamped at work. Along with about 20 other people from our teams, because a gigantic shitstorm seemed to hit somewhere between Baltimore and Philadelphia. Striking directly at the heart of our switches.

Oh, and it hit right at noon CST. Right after I finished another call. So, no lunch for me -- it was a good thing I brought an apple with me. I was trapped at my desk for almost six hours. We finally got the last remnants cleaned up, but for a while it just seemed that everything was failing all at once.

So, a busy day, so I didn't get a chance to listen to the topic of this post ...

... which is, my new iPod Shuffle. Ah, a wonderfully tiny thing it is. I can load hours of listening material, probably about 16 hours worth of memory along with what is supposed to be a 12 hour or so battery life. I haven't really tested either of those limits yet.

But, I can clip it right inside the flap where my polo shirt button, button the top button, and you can hardly see it (and I can't really feel it there unless I reach for it). The only thing that betrays that I'm listening to the iPod is the ear buds. So, I guess I need the cochlear implants next (with bluetooth connectivity).

So what's on the iPod? I have several podcasts that I've gotten into the habit of loading: NPR Shuffle, Pardon the Interruption (ESPN), Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman (also ESPN), a few comedy bits from the Onion. Weekly podcasts of "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me", "This American Life", and "On the Media". Periodic commentary on Disneyworld and D&D (from WotC). All cool stuff, some of which I would catch bits of in the car, some of which I couldn't.

And, I've got some of my CDs loaded. Actually, loaded again as I loaded some, then moved where I was storing the files and messed up the transfes. Albums currently in my iTunes library:
The Beatles: Let It Be
The Beatles: Revolver
George Harrison: Somewhere in England
The Who: Who's Next
David Bowie: Changesbowie
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
The Roches: Can We Go Home Now
Paul Simon: Graceland
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon

Not handy to reload, because the disks are in the car:
They Might Be Giants: The Spine
Travelling Wilburys: Vol. 1

and other stuff I can't remember off hand.

Cool feature: the podcasts all get loaded first in the play sequence, so I can play them in order. But if I just want to have background music, I click the switch to random play and it only plays the music. Very cool.

The one downside so far, I need a handy case for the ear buds. The iPod itself doesn't really need a case since it just clips where I want it, and is pretty sturdy aluminum, but the ear buds get tangled and just are a mess carried in a pocket. I haven't found a good solution for that yet.

The downside that hasn't been an issue yet -- it's SO FREAKING TINY tha I'm afraid I'll lose the fool thing. It's less than the size of a book of matches. Way smaller than my cell phone.

It sure is nice to have my own music in my office, without a chance of disturbing the neighbors. And, as Ellen says, it's going to become my favorite tool (over the radio) for working around the house. Best $79 I've spent in quite a while.


5 Comments:

  • Amazing.
    a4midablegrrrl@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/31/2007 7:21 PM  

  • Generally earbud cases come with earbuds in them. I'm guessing this is the sort of thing you'd be interested in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2007 11:04 PM  

  • I've seen what you link to before, Narf. They are pretty good. I've also seen ones that will automatically retract, and you pull and they lock in place to extend them. I can't find any links though, so...

    By Blogger Matt, at 2/03/2007 3:21 AM  

  • Although I wasn't actually looking for the retractable kind, that's the type I'd go for.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/03/2007 7:10 PM  

  • A quick search for "retractable earbuds" will get you to the Amazon store. I don't know if iPod white is what you'd be interested in, but here is a pair.

    Of course, the cochlear implants Tim mentioned would get rid of the tangled cords as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/03/2007 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home