another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Friday, February 15, 2008

NIU

It turns out, the son of one of my co-workers was wounded in the Northern Illinois classroom shooting. He was wounded pretty badly, airlifted out to Good Samaritan Hospital near us (the medical campus where Ellen works, but not for the hospital), and after surgery is now expected to recover fully.

(for those not from the area, the Northern Illinois campus is about 30 miles WNW of my house)

And of course, I heard more news stories today about it. Everything that I heard was that the campus police had prepared for such an emergency (spurred by the Virginia Tech shootings last year), practiced, and executed the plan to the best of their abilities. It was said that some campus police were on the scene in 30 seconds.

But, there's only so far that such preparation can take you unless you're willing to lock down the entire campus and do searches of everyone. And, even then, there's only so much protection that provides. Shit happens, even when everything else goes according to plan.

1 Comments:

  • Yeah--I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I read your blog. I heard the helicopter as I left work and wondered what was going on. Then I listened to the news all the way home, but they kept talking about how most of the victims had been taken to Kishwaukee Hospital in DeKalb nearer to NIU. So I didn't think about anyone being air lifted to Good Samaritan. It does make sense because Good Sam is one of the fewer Level III Trauma Centers in the area (I think I have that right--it is a high level trauma center of some sort--just not sure of the designation right now.)

    So once again I prove that at the end of a day of work, I no longer have any brains.

    By Blogger Nurse Penguinladi, at 2/16/2008 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home