another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Friday, February 15, 2008

Frederick the Great of Prussia

OK, I'm in a town that is not actually a town, and it's not actually named after Frederick the Great or any other King of Prussia. And I wouldn't know any of that if it weren't for the Wikipedia article.

I flew into Philadelphia early on Monday morning, after getting back from Winter War (another story). Not as early as I was supposed to, as the plane coming from Detroit was delayed due to mechanical problems. They wound up switching planes, and we got off about 2.5 hours late.

The story of this week has been sleep deprivation, not aided by the sleep deficit I built up at Winter War. Every night there has been drive testing from midnight until 4am (give or take half an hour), and then often a bit of clean up work after the drive test. Then a project conference call at 9am. Then, whatever needs to be done during the day. Then another project conference call at 4pm. Then dinner, maybe a nap, and another drive test. That has been the pattern every day. So, I've been operating on, at best, five hours of sleep each night all week.

I've also got the sniffles (hard to call it a cold, but maybe getting there), and sore ribs after I fell on Tuesday (leaving Friday's after dinner I missed the edge of the curb, sprawling into the slush from the snow/sleet that had been falling). So, I'm a bit of a mess.

There's another drive test tonight, but no 9am call -- so I can sleep in!

No, I'm not driving for the drive test. I'm on the phone listening to how the calls are going, turning on and off logging, and adjusting parameters if the calls aren't as successful as they should be. Last night I did nod off during the drive test call (for about an hour, I guess), but I wasn't actually doing anything at that point and if they needed me I probably would have heard them calling for me on the conference call.

This weekend -- sleep, at least for a while. There's a 4pm call tomorrow, but it may not amount to much. From there I'll figure out if there's a Saturday drive test. Then we'll see what Sunday brings.

Thanks, you've been a great audience. I'm here 'til a week from Tuesday. Don't forget to tip your server!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home