another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Class and Classification

If you're reading this, you're seeing the blog on the beta version of the new Blogger. I have no idea whether you'll notice anything different.

If you're not reading this, how do you realize you're not?

The past few days at work have been taken up by training. We're supposed to be picking up support for another part of the product, and so we've been learning about that piece. Unfortunately, the guy doing the training isn't much of a communicator, so it's been a bit of a trudge. And I had to set up most of the logistics of the class (time, room reservation) without getting much out of him as to what was needed. So, I had to reschedule once, and set up a different room than originally set, because they hadn't told me they needed LAN connections for everyone.

One thing I forgot to mention on Monday is that my boss came in for the day so she could do performance reviews. She had to come in in the middle of a couple weeks off because otherwise she'd miss the deadline for giving the feedback. Anyway, I hadn't felt very productive this year. Some of the stuff I did was taking way too long, because I'd underestimated what was involved. And then, on switching to the support assignment, I felt like I didn't know enough to really do the job justice, and that I really needed to take more time learning it (rather than getting thrown into it in Phoenix and St.Louis). I felt a lot more comfortable in the job since October, finally feeling like I was actually making good progress. Of course, our evaluation year goes October 1 through October 1, so any good feeling was after the period that counted for last year. Well, all that aside, apparently they still like what I'm doing. My evaluation was pretty positive overall, and they appreciated that I'd thrown myself into the new assignment, with credit for taking those road assignments.

I still don't know what's going to happen long term as the Alcatel-Lucent merger settles, but for now all is good. Surprisingly. But I'm always my worst critic.

Switching topics entirely, Smallville tonight was particularly lame, combining "freak of the week" with preachy. And that's not even counting the boy with the new super power, the amazing ability to speak with absolutely no accent despite not being in the country that long. Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet, I recommend skipping to the previews part. That can't all be next episode, it has to be the previews for much of the rest of the season, and there's some really cool stuff there. Too bad we have to get episodes like this in between.

2 Comments:

  • Despite regular taunts from Blogger that my new blog is ready and waiting for me, any attempt to activate it informs me that mine is in the group of blogs they're not quite ready for for one of a short list of reasons.

    By Blogger Mike Norton, at 12/10/2006 6:59 PM  

  • When I first signed up for my Blogger account in order to set up the Artblog(long before I found myself actually able to pay for extra stuff on my other blog), I found myself auto-shunted to the Beta version. I didn't notice any real difference until I started trying to post to pre-existing non-Beta blogs.

    *shrug*

    Problem seems to have slowly made its way to solving itself...

    By Blogger Dwight Williams, at 12/31/2006 7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home