another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Monday, November 06, 2006

Monday Miscellaney

Hmmm ... Will Ferrell is on Letterman now. I guess I can turn that off.

The paper cups are now out of the door. I got the deadblock installed, as well as a new doorknob so that the deadbolt and the main knob would have the same key (so, yes, kids, I need to get you new keys). I still need to work ono the door strikes, but it's enough for now.

And now, for a little new-season Tivo blogging ...

I think I'm done with "The Class". I'd added it to my season pass list because the pilot was somewhat promising, and I thought the third episode was really funny. The network must agree, because that's the one episode they re-ran to build audience a bit. But it's only been that one episode. There's one character that I like, one character that's bearable, and a dozen others somewhere below that "bearable" line, downward to awful.

Heroes: Everyone's favorite, apparently. I'm not totally blown away by it, but it's certainly good enough to follow through the season. I like Hiro (everyone does). I like the cop who reads minds. The cheerleader is OK. Some of the other stories drag a bit though (sorry, I'm already tired of Niki's story). I'm looking forward to the story ramping up a bit again for November sweeps, as tonight's episode seemed to.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: This one everyone views as a disappointment. To me, it's OK, but just OK. Entertaining, and I'll keep watching, but it's not something that I feel I must watch. I like Matthew Perry in this, and D.L. Hughly. I haven't watched this week's episode yet, but I probably will watch tomorrow night. It'll probably be cancelled before I get much more of a chance to decide about it, though.

30 Rock: The other "SNL behind the scenes" show. I've thought it was pretty funny frequently. It's the type of humor that may be a rough sell to the general audience at times, so we'll see how long it lasts, but apparently it's done fine and better than "Studio 60". I like Tina Fey, but both Alec Baldwin and Tracey Morgan have been a hoot, and Jane Krakowski has been pretty funny when called upon. The biggest problem I have with this is that there haven't been that many episodes shown yet, and if it's not on regularly I'd expect that to kill it.

1 vs. 100: The best thing about this, so far, is that I wound up finding Ken Jenning's blog because of it. Jennings wrote a bit about his short stint as a "mob" member on the show. And he's an entertaining writer, so I visit his blog regularly now. Anyway, I'm a sucker for quiz shows, and I can watch this the way I used to watch "Who Want to be a Millionaire?" -- fast forward to get to the questions and skip over the fake tension building. I do like the first few rounds though, where it's like "ooh, if the contestant misses this question the mob can each take home, oh, a bit more than $7 each!".

Legion of Super Heroes: I've been a Legion fan since 1967: Adventure #359. Yes, Legion fans can quote their first issue -- and the real fans know the story from the issue number. Anyway, this animated show (on the Saturday morning "Kid's WB", right before "The Batman") has not disappointed. Somewhat surprisingly. A lot of people don't like the character designs, and there are some bits of the style that I don't care for (particularly the necessity of calling Superboy "Superman"). But the stories so far have all been very good. Not quite "Justice League Unlimited" good, but better than most "Teen Titans" and much better than "The Batman". I'm happy with the series so far.

I think that's all the new shows that have been added to the Tivo this year.

And now it's late, later than I'd planned, so I think it's time for bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home