another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Sunday, November 05, 2006

I'll take Door Number 1, Monty!

My day was concentrated around the front door. And listening to the Bears suck.

Today: Church. Mailed Legends. Arby's for lunch. I like Arby's reuben's for the most part, but I like my reuben grilled (like is supposed to be). So the benefit of getting food there and then bringing it home is that I can slap the non-grilled Arby's reuben on the Forman grill. 100% better.

Anyway, we got home and had lunch and I watched the first part of the Bears sucking. Then Ellen said there was a Menards truck in the driveway. This was a little before 1pm I believe, so plenty early in the day. So, I changed my clothes and spent the rest of the afternoon getting the front door ready. Well, I also had my favorite power tool with me -- the radio -- so I could listen to the remainder of the Bears suckitude.

Most of that time was getting the old door off. No problem with the old storm door, but the entrance door casing had been painted 3 or 4 times in the past 22 years, so I couldn't find all the nails holding it for a while. So, it took a while to chip away and explore where the nail were. I was trying to do so without just totally mangleing the door frame. Not totally successful at that, but ...

Anyway, the new door is up, though not totally fixed up. I need to redo some of the trim around the front of the house now to mesh better with the door. I need to get some insulation foam to fill around the door. And I need to get another lockset, since we got this door with a hole drilled for a deadbolt, which the old door didn't have.

So, for now, at least it's not bitter cold tonight, because it'll still be drafty around the door. The deadbolt hole is just filled with a couple paper cups for now (they fit well). And I still need to get the new storm door up as well, but that'll wait until I fix up the trim.

And tonight I'm beat. It'll be time to crash shortly, though I'm dusty enough still that I'll grab a quick shower first. This story continues ... mañana!

3 Comments:

  • I'm amused at your cup hack. And the fact that your favorite power tool is the radio.

    By Blogger The Narf, at 11/05/2006 10:54 PM  

  • Everyone who's seen me do any home improvement knows that the radio is the necessary tool for me. I can't do anything without it.

    By Blogger TT, at 11/05/2006 10:58 PM  

  • It's true. Some of my earliest childhood memories involve listening to Cubs games while watching Dad work on the master bedroom.

    By Blogger Kalen, at 11/06/2006 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home