another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Monday, June 19, 2006

Pleasant Weekend

I had a nice pleasant weekend, thank you very much. Probably as good as any I could has selected, and I think everyone got to do things they wanted to do.

All four kids were home for the weekend. Matt drove up on Thursday evening, Kathy on Saturday afternoon. Ryan and Kalen were already home.

I went to the Cubs game with my brother Bob on Saturday afternoon. The weather was pretty much perfect, just edging toward hot. Lunch in the stadium club was one of the best Saturday buffets I'd seen there, including home-style meat loaf and fried chicken. Yum. Alas, the Cubs sucked as much on Saturday as they have all week, so the game ended 9-3 (we cut out after the 8th inning, when it was 7-1).

Sunday I had been tapped as liturgist at church, so I told the kids we should all plan to go and then go out to lunch afterward. Matt and Kathy claimed that they hadn't brought home clothes for church, so I told everyone that they could opt out if the wanted, but Matt found an outfit he could wear and Kathy's was not bad anyway, so the only one who lazied out of going was Ryan (who really had no excuse :-) ). Oh, he would have gone if I'd made it a bit less optional, but I was cool with him sleeping in and meeting us at the restaurant.

After church, lunch was California Pizza Kitchen. Then a family game of "Settlers of Catan" (which Kathy won, edging Ellen and Matt). I screwed up my first play and also had poor luck, so I never stood a chance in the game myself. My ridiculously bad play I could chalk up to only about the third time I'd played the game, but it was the first time to play for both Kathy and Ellen, and only Matt plays it regularly, so I have no excuse.

We topped off the game afternoon with a game of Hawaiian Rummy (which Ryan won, and Kathy opted out of as always). Before the last hand Narf called to wish me happy father's day (in his batch of calls to his fathers and pseudo-fathers). We put him on speaker phone and finished off the game, and then chatted with him for a loooong time -- Matt said the phone read 203 minutes at the end. Good thing Narf has roll-over minutes on his cell. :-)

Finally, I grilled some burgers for Matt, Ryan and I while Ellen and the girls finished leftovers from their lunches. Matt took off for Urbana in mid-evening, and the girls left for Normal this morning, so those three are back in class for the rest of their summer terms.

Next weekend -- nothing scheduled, so that will be grout time.

3 Comments:

  • You have 4 kids? so do i! although mine are obviously younger than yours....mine are boy, 16, girl, 14, boy, 12, and boy, 6.
    we have been playing a lot of "scattergories" around here. we also have sudoku contests - everyone takes an easy one and we see who can solve it the fastest.
    sounds like a great father's day.
    i can't wait to see my dad - he and my mom will be home late sunday night.
    thanks for stopping by.
    jodi

    By Blogger Jodi, at 6/19/2006 10:30 PM  

  • After a nice Father's Day you didn't mention that you have a birthday coming up. Hope you have a great day Thursday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/21/2006 6:07 PM  

  • That's tonight's posting.

    By Blogger TT, at 6/21/2006 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home