another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Milk Duds and Whoppers and Chews: Oh My!

Charleston Chews to be precise, but that didn't match the meter. Also Tootsie Rolls and Junior Mints, ditto.

We've got plenty of leftover comics, which is a good thing as I'll just tuck them away for next year. I'll replenish the box a bit during the year but we should be pretty good anyway.

We've got plenty of leftover candy, which is a bad/good thing. You know why. I just need to keep out of snacking on them too much. :-)

All told, probably in the neighborhood of 60 trick-or-treaters. More or less. The comics seemed to be a pretty solid hit again. I know one boy checked with his sister to see if she got a Batman comic, hoping to trade. They'd actually both gotten Superman, but I heard him an traded him a Batman from the box. If they came in super-hero costumes I mostly matched the comic with the costume, except for one Spider-man who I couldn't find a Spidey comic in the box that quick.

Another kid keeps track of his Halloween haul. He remembered that we didn't have the comics last year, but had in previous years (why do I know? he asked me about it).

Another group were all about 17 or 18 (give or take a year), all but the one toddler that one (her mom?) was pulling in a wagon. But they were all in costume and were at the door, so they all got candy and comics.

And, yes, I did have mostly age appropriate stuff, but I definitely round up in age-appropriate. They got Richie Rich (and his Star Comics clone: Royal Roy), or Disney comics if they were pre-readers, and got Superman, Spider-man, Legion, Icon, etc, if they looked to be in school.

I could have asked the one group is any of them were 18, then I could have given them the Sandman: Orpheus special that I had a few copies of. Carefully tucked in a different box so they didn't get handed to a pre-teen by mistake. I don't remember anything particularly offensive in it, but I certainly wasn't going to mess with the "Recommended for Mature Readers" marking.

So, if you want to Trick or Treat me for one of those, just ask. It's a cool comic. Ditto the comic adaptation of the "Little Shop of Horrors" movie. I've got several of those, too.

9 Comments:

  • trick or treat for both comics, if you don't mind. Sounds very cool.

    By Blogger Amber, at 11/01/2005 9:31 PM  

  • We neglected to have trick-or-treaters and I missed the cute little kidlets this year. :( I'll have to steal some candy when I come home this weekend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/01/2005 9:31 PM  

  • Ah, Royal Roy. So much cooler than Richie Rich. I mean, he had a gator! (Or a croc, I'm not sure which.) Richie only had a Dalmation with dollar signs for spots. But I loved both comics, along with Casper and Wendy, when I was little.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/01/2005 11:34 PM  

  • If someone were to give away Sandman comics in my city, I would walk for miles to get at it first! What a great idea you had to give away comics!!!!

    By Blogger Lita , at 11/02/2005 1:09 AM  

  • That is an awesome idea. Free comics! I'm no comic buff or anything, but it's a great idea to give out stuff besides candy! That, and you might be handing them things they could sell for thousands years down the road.

    By Blogger Tony, at 11/02/2005 3:56 AM  

  • Apparently, I was suffering brain farts in the last half of that posting. The Sandman special comic is Sandman: Orpheus, not Morpheus. It makes a difference.

    And, I typed "Little House of Horrors" when I meant "Little Shop of Horrors". I used to do that all the time -- I guess I still do.

    (And, while I could fix that yesterday, I couldn't post this comment until now.)

    Amber -- you got 'em!

    By Blogger TT, at 11/03/2005 8:47 AM  

  • Yay!!!

    By Blogger Amber, at 11/03/2005 3:26 PM  

  • Y'know, Ariane & I bought 2 boxes of Buttefingers and Snickers 9full-size bars -- not the itsy-bity ones, either) and didn't get ONE, SINGLE trick-or-treater down here in South Texas. Neewollah parties have pretty much replaced trick-or-treating down here -- which leaves me nostalgic, but with a lotta damn candy on my hands. (My co-workers have never been so ecstatic since I became diabetic.)

    Yeesh!

    ~~JD~~

    By Blogger J.D. Long, at 11/06/2005 9:20 PM  

  • My dorm wasn't part of the 'safe-treat' program here, so I was blissfully free of trick-or-treaters for the first time in my life. On the other hand, there were more than enough college age students walking around in costume to outfit my entire sub back home so... yeah...

    I was supposed to go to a hallowe'en party in Chyenne, but it didn't work out... so instead Karen and I walked the mile and a half to the Blockbuster and rented videos, then watched them all weekend. So I suppose we had our own fun...

    check out my blog it's fun and full of linkage.

    By Blogger Amber #2, at 11/08/2005 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home