another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Monday, September 03, 2007

Gencon: Friday, August 17

Played a game. Judged a game. Blew a roll.

Friday at Gencon started with Matt, Ryan, and I waking early and going over to the RPGA hall for first slot. We had tickets for the Living Greyhawk Special. Matt and I stayed together to try to play around APL 10 (we both had our level 11 characters), but Ryan split off as he didn't want to play that high. Matt and I got together with another guy we've played with from the Chicago area (Mike L.), his girlfriend(?), another guy that I've played with several times (most recently at weekend in Dyvers), and a sixth random guy (who had a barbarian who could throw down a bunch of damage, fortunately).

I was playing as my character "Joe", a Ranger/Scout. As the scout, I could scout ahead and check for traps. And I was the fastest and quickest (best initiative). Which means I was always the first to see any of the enemies. And, about the best thing I can do when I see an enemy is charge ahead and get an attack in fast. So, I was the canary in the mine. I would charge in, get one hit in, and then be generally torn apart by the enemies. But, that would tell everyone else what the big bad guys could do, so that helped them win the encounter.

It wasn't quite so bad as that. The first encounter was very tough, and we didn't think we'd get very far. But, as it turned out, each subsequent encounter was a bit easier, so we took out the last enemy quickly, and got the nifty rewards in the end. Yay.

After that, Matt, Ryan and I grabbed lunch then started back around the dealer's room. Matt and I started to do a few more demos in the Wizards area, but then Matt couldn't find his card so decided to ditch that. I decided to cash in my marks at the reward area -- roll d20 and add the number of Wizards demos (shown by the marks on the cards), and collect free swag based on how high the result is. The dice area wasn't open for business yet, and yet the line was starting to build. I wandered around the dealer's area more, still not finding anything that really caught my attention. I eventually joined the line, waited in the line for about 20 minutes, and then when it was my turn I took the big die and rolled: a 5! Dangit! Adding my 10 marks gave me a 10, which was just enough to get nothing I really wanted. I picked up an Axis and Allies miniatures booster for no particular reason.

In the evening, I was set to judge a session of the Kalamar module "To Shake the Pillars of the World". It was a good module, and the table that I judged was pretty good (including a couple guys I'd played Mark of Heroes with two years earlier). Nothing else I can really say about that.

A met Matt, Kalen, and Tony and we went to dinner at Steak and Shake. It was about 10pm by this time, a good time for a late dinner there. While we were waiting, we got in a couple more very quick games of Fluxx. Then, back to the hotel and a couple more games of Fluxx there (including Ryan).

To Be Continued!

Coming next: Saturday - The RPGA members meeting with the fallout of the 4th edition announcement.

2 Comments:

  • The important part of the sixth random guys build wasn't that he was a Barbarian, but that he was a Dervish. That probably won't mean much to most people though :-)

    By Blogger Matt, at 9/04/2007 12:21 AM  

  • Yep, I forgot the Dervish part. If I'd realized how broken Dervish is I would have given Joe a bit more intelligence.

    By Blogger TT, at 9/04/2007 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home