another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Settled into work for a while - Snow story

Well, I guess I'll be here at work for a while. That's OK, I have a few things I could/should be putting a finish on so I can more onto a new assignment I have. But that's not why I'm staying put for a while ...

It's snowing here. Not terrible, but enough to screw up traffic badly. We're supposed to get 2-4 inches this afternoon and evening. It looks like we've gotten the 2 inches so far, in the last three hours. Again, not terrible.

However, it looks like everyone took a cue to leave work early and beat the weather. It looks that way because Warrenville Road (aka, my route home) is backed up as far as I can see in both directions. It's been that way since at least 4pm when I'd considered also getting out of here, but seeing the traffic changed my mind. I'd guess at this point I'll just stay put until 8pm, if not later.

Of course, with traffic not moving, it also means there's no snow plow that's going to be clearing that road soon.

At least all I have to do is walk to the end of this cross-aisle, to the peripheral hallway. The building is all glass, and I'm on the fourth floor, so once at the periphery I can see quite well what the traffic looks like. And ... it looks like I'll be here a while.

7 Comments:

  • Later update: Warrenville Road is still packed in both directions at 7pm. And Ellen says we may be 6-8 inches of snow tonight.

    I may be a bit later than 8pm. The cats are going to be mad at me.

    By Blogger TT, at 12/08/2005 7:05 PM  

  • Oh, and I'll have to shovel when I get home. Joy.

    By Blogger TT, at 12/08/2005 7:06 PM  

  • 8pm update and Warrenville Road traffic is cleared up. Cars are moving slower, but they are moving and there's no backup. So, it's time to head home. I'm going to take my laptop home tonight and maybe work from home tomorrow. :-)

    By Blogger TT, at 12/08/2005 8:21 PM  

  • Home now, after taking about twice as much time as usual to get here. Really slick, and in spots pretty deep snow. Really just one lane in each direction, barely. :-) Anyway, time to go shovel. There's a good 6" here already.

    By Blogger TT, at 12/08/2005 9:09 PM  

  • And ... my final update on this topic tonight. Driveway and walks are all shoveled, in about 45 minutes. I don't really have all that much pavement out front to shovel, but it did go a bit quicker than I'd feared. Yeah, a good 6 inches, maybe a bit more, but really light fluffy stuff, so it pushed easily.

    Now to settle in and relax for the night. I'd say I'll definitely take the work-from-home route tomorrow morning.

    By Blogger TT, at 12/08/2005 9:56 PM  

  • It's been snowing here too - check my blog for details. I want to go play in it tomorrow, but I think I need to work on my papers instead. :( ;)

    By Blogger Kalen, at 12/08/2005 11:42 PM  

  • Have I mentioned lately it's 68 degrees in San Antonio today?

    Hitting the pool later; will think of you fondly.

    ~~JD~~

    By Blogger J.D. Long, at 12/10/2005 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home