another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Don't you understand, man? You've struck coleslaw!

Odd stuff. I was Googling for LG tonight, and found out that, in Korea, they sell special refrigerators just for kimchi. It was apparently big business, and more than 40% of Korean households have them, but the companies are (or were) having problems because the market is pretty much saturated. And, funny thing is, there's not much of an export market for them. Gee, you suppose? I hadn't even thought about the need for something that culturally specific.

LG also makes internet enabled refrigerators, washing machines, and ovens.

Why was I looking up LG - the Korean electronics company? Well, because my old, apparently stolen phone is an LG. And because I knew the LG stood for something and that they used to sell stuff under a different brand that I always thought was more low-end, cheap import stuff. Yep, they used to be Goldstar, or "Lucky Goldstar". I just had to satisfy that curiousity.

The title of the post is from a "M*A*S*H" episode, and that line has always just stuck with me.

7 Comments:

  • What's gimchi?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2005 10:29 AM  

  • Sorry, kimchi. I wasn't looking at the op when I responded.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2005 10:30 AM  

  • Your 'apparently stolen phone' ... does that happen to be one of the few I have? Not that I have the box with me, but I've got some of your old phones in my storage unit.

    By Blogger The Narf, at 7/21/2005 11:01 AM  

  • http://www.marimari.com/content/korea/best_of/kimchi/kimchi.html

    There ya go, Kalen Mc"doesn't know how to Google".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2005 12:48 PM  

  • In particular, tradionally kimchi is aged/fermented in earthenware pots buried in the ground. This keeps them cool and at constant temp. So, the kimchi refrigerator does the same thing for Koreans that have become urbanized and moved into apartments, hence no longer have land that they can bury their kimchi pots. Like I said, this is a VERY, VERY culture specific appliance. I haven't heard of other cultures that do quite the same thing.

    The M*A*S*H episode had, as one of the plots, Frank Burns worried about Korean villagers planting land mines. Guess what they were burying?

    By Blogger TT, at 7/21/2005 12:56 PM  

  • And no, Narf, my "apparently stolen phone" isn't the phones you have. But it's a story for another time.

    But, it does mean that I no longer have your cell phone number. Give me a call (same old number) some evening so I can record your number. (evening, because reception in my office is slim or none).

    By Blogger TT, at 7/21/2005 1:07 PM  

  • Dwight here in Ottawa.

    The moment I saw the M*A*S*H reference, I had to get a closer look. :-)

    Interesting to see how kimchi storage/fermentation tech has had to evolve. I suppose I should've expected as much from a nation with cities that've grown as theirs have.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2005 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home