another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Subtitles

I'm responding here to Narf's comment on the most recent blog post, because other's may be interested (or not). Also, a general update...

Hey, Narf -- yeah, pages on blogspot seem to often reload the cached page rather than an updated page. I don't know why. Just hit reload every once in a while when you visit.

OK, the sources of the most recent few subtitles on my blog:

"Can you tell that I'm planning prevenge?" -- From the song "Prevenge". They Might Be Giants, from the album "The Spine".

"We'll have fun, fun, fun until T-bird takes her dad away" -- From the song "Thunderbird", also TMBG from "The Spine" (can you tell what I've been listening to again recently?). "Thunderbird" is about the fortified wine, not the car or the e-mail client -- "I remember now, I remember now why they call it Thunderbird".

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate." - Zapp Brannigan (master of the mixed metaphor), from the Futurama episode "When Aliens Attack".

OK, that's it for now on the quotes. I'll eventually be inspired to change it again, after I've completed my prevenge.

As for the update -- my laptop is screwed up. My home laptop that is -- my work laptop has been replaced and is OK for now. My home laptop freezes about 1d12 (or maybe 2d8) minutes after it is booted. I'll pull out the system rescue disks, probably tomorrow night, but I had a bunch of not-backed-up data that I needed to try to retrieve first. So this evening I made a visit to Tiger Direct and bought a 2.5" hard drive enclosure with a USB interface. I took the hard drive out of my laptop, put it in the USB enclosure, and can now read the drive from Ellen's laptop. Pretty cool, and the enclosure was only $9, so cheap. I think I've burned CDs with almost all the worthwhile information, though I still have to grab my e-mail boxes.

I still have to decide whether I'm going to put this hard drive back into my laptop, or just buy a new one and keep this other drive in the enclosure as a portable drive/backup-system.

That's enough for tonight. Hopefully I'll have good news on a couple fronts tomorrow.

2 Comments:

  • And apparently I need to learn to read the most recent post before replying to a comment on an old post.

    By Blogger Matt, at 8/30/2006 1:45 AM  

  • By the way, when I say "buy a new one" I meant hard drive, not laptop. I hope I don't have to escalate the fix that far.

    By Blogger TT, at 8/30/2006 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home