another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cue Weird Al !

Well we'll see if anything comes of it, but I took the "Jeopardy!" online contestant quiz last night. This is the second time I've even bothered trying to get on Jeopardy -- the first blocked by too many people registering for a tryout in Chicago so I couldn't even get to the "take the quiz" stage.

The quiz was fun and quick, and challenging. Since you only get 15 seconds per question, and no chance to go back even if you answer other questions faster, the main challenge on some of the questions was retrieving the answer from memory quick enough. I got stuck drawing a blank on Ted Williams' name, as well as Samuel L. Jackson. On one question it served me well, though, as I was trying to remember "Trotsky" and then realized that the answer was actually "Engels".

Overall, of the fifty questions I'd guess I got about 35 right. There were probably five or so I just didn't know, a couple I couldn't retrieve, and one for sure that I blew -- I typed "A Midsummer Night's Dream" when the answer was "The Tempest", which I realized about two seconds too late.

If I actually pass this stage the next step will be another quiz, in person this time, some time in Chicago. I hope I at least get that far -- it'd be fun to actually be interviewed as a potential contestant. I don't hold any illusions of Jennings-like abilities, but we'll see how I can do.

After all, I was judged one of the 50 smartest people in Chicago-land (puzzle contest in the Tribune) and I have been on the hot seat twice for Millionaire (granted, it was the Disney World version, but I did get to the 500,000 point question).

2 Comments:

  • Good Luck getting to the next step. Sounds like the quiz was fun, so thats good.

    By Blogger Matt, at 3/30/2006 1:29 PM  

  • I missed the quiz, between research group stuff and MUN exec board meeting. But I don't know that I would have done well, anyway. I didn't know that thing about the Tribune contest, though, when was that?

    By Blogger Kalen, at 3/30/2006 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home