another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Song Meme, via Norton

I'm waiting for a compile, so in the meantime I got this meme from Mike Norton's "Miraclo Miles". From the 100 top pop songs of the year you graduated high school, which do you like, which do you not like? You can see Mike's list from 1979, and where he got the meme from at his blog site (find the link to "Miraclo Miles" on the right).

My list, from 1976, is in the "Read More!" section.

Here's the instructions:

First, go to http://www.musicoutfitters.com/

Enter the year you graduated high school into the search engine. (In my case 1976)

Click on the "Top 100 Hits of XXXX" link, and copy the list.

Bold the songs you like, strike through the ones you hate and underline your favorite. Do nothing to the ones you don't care about, and I italicized the one I don't remember. I also added my own comments in the list in red.

And now, the 100 top hits of 1976:

1. Silly Love Songs, Paul McCartney and Wings
2. Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Elton John and Kiki Dee
3. Disco Lady, Johnnie Taylor
4. December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night), Four Seasons
5. Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry - only as intro to Craig Kilbourne
6. Kiss And Say Goodbye, Manhattans
7. Love Machine (Part 1), The Miracles
8. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon - one of the very few Paul Simon solo songs i don't much care about
9. Love Is Alive, Gary Wright
10. A Fifth Of Beethoven, Walter Murphy and The Big Apple Band
11. Sara Smile, Daryl Hall and John Oates
12. Afternoon Delight, Starland Vocal Band - Oh God, the pain! But the "Arrested Development" episode by the same name is hilarious and oh so wrong!
13. I Write The Songs, Barry Manilow - Surprisingly, no strike-through
14. Fly, Robin, Fly, Silver Convention
15. Love Hangover, Diana Ross
16. Get Close, Seals and Crofts
17. More, More, More, Andrea True Connection
18. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
19. Misty Blue, Dorothy Moore
20. Boogie Fever, Sylvers
21. I'd Really Love To See You Tonight, England Dan and John Ford Coley
22. You Sexy Thing, Hot Chocolate
23. Love Hurts, Nazareth
24. Get Up And Boogie, Silver Convention
25. Take It To The Limit, Eagles
26. (Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty, K.C. and The Sunshine Band
27. Sweet Love, Commodores
28. Right Back Where We Started From, Maxine Nightingale
29. Theme From "S.W.A.T", Rhythm Heritage
30. Love Rollercoaster, Ohio Players
31. You Should Be Dancing, Bee Gees
32. You'll Never Find Antoher Love Like Mine, Lou Rawls
33. Golden Years, David Bowie
34. Moonlight Feels Right, Starbuck
35. Only Sixteen, Dr. Hook
36. Let Your Love Flow, Bellamy Brothers
37. Dreamweaver, Gary Wright
38. Turn The Beat Around, Vicki Sue Robinson
39. Lonely Night (Angel Face), The Captain and Tennille
40. All By Myself, Eric Carmen - Make it stop!
41. Love To Love You Baby, Donna Summer
42. Deep Purple, Donny and Marie Osmond - Some things I'm sure are better forgotten
43. Theme From "Mahogany", Diana Ross
44. Sweet Thing, Rufus
45. That's The Way I Like It, K.C. and The Sunshine Band
46. A Little Bit More, Dr. Hook
47. Shannon, Henry Gross
48. If You Leave Me Now, Chicago
49. Lowdown, Boz Scaggs - This is awfully close to being marked bold, but not quite
50. Show Me The Way, Peter Frampton
51. Dream On, Aerosmith
52. I Love Music (Pt. 1), O'Jays
53. Say You Love Me, Fleetwood Mac
54. Times Of Your Life, Paul Anka
55. Devil Woman, Cliff Richard
56. Fooled Around And Fell In Love, Elvin Bishop
57. Convoy, C.W. McCall - Omaha-area advertisements for Old Home Bread were the basis for this. The ads were funny. Convoy I could live without.
58. Welcome Back, John Sebastian - Kotter theme
59. Sing A Song, Earth, Wind and Fire
60. Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel, Tavares
61. I'll Be Good To You, Brothers Johnson
63. Shop Around, The Captain and Tennille - I actually like a lot of Captain and Tennille, and this is a good cover
64. Saturday Night, Bay City Rollers
65. Island Girl, Elton John - One of Elton's lesser efforts
66. Let's Do It Again, Staple Singers
67. Let 'Em In, Paul McCartney and Wings - One of McCartney's lesser efforts, including pretty much everything from this year onward, but I still like Wings enough to overcome
68. Baby Face, Wing and A Prayer Fife and Drum Corps
69. This Masquerade, George Benson
70. Evil Woman, Electric Light Orchestra
71. Wham Bam, Silver
72. I'm Easy, Keith Carradine
73. Wake Up Everybody (Pt. 1), Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes
74. Summer, War
75. Let Her In, John Travolta - What was I saying about thankfully forgotten. Travolta's entire singing career should be in that category.
76. Fox On The Run, Sweet - Everything from The Sweet was either love it or hate it, for me.
77. Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac
78. Got To Get You Into My Life, Beatles - This is, of course, the re-release of this single.
79. Fanny (Be Tender With My Love), Bee Gees
80. Getaway, Earth, Wind and Fire
81. She's Gone, Daryl Hall and John Oates
82. Rock And Roll Music, Beach Boys
82. Still The One, Orleans
83. You're My Best Friend, Queen
84. With Your Love, Jefferson Starship
85. Slow Ride, Foghat
86. Who'd She Coo, Ohio Players
88. Walk Away From Love, David Ruffin
89. Baby, I Love Your Way, Peter Frampton
90. Young Hearts Sun Free, Candi Staton - Is this a typo? Should it be "Young Hearts Run Free"? I remember that as a Rod Stewart song. (90% of Rod Stewart's output would be a strike-through)
91. Breaking Up's Hard To Do, Neil Sedaka - The ballad remake, not the "Come-a Come-a Down Doobie-Do" version.
92. Money Honey, Bay City Rollers
93. Tear The Roof Off The Sucker, Parliament - I'm sure I should remember this, as with all the other italic'ed songs.
94. Junk Food Junkie, Larry Groce
95. Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again, Barry Manilow - I certainly can't spare all the Manilow from the strike-through.
96. Rock And Roll All Nite, Kiss... and party every third day.
97. Disco Duck, Rick Dees - you may kill me now
97. The Boys Are Back In Town, Thin Lizzy
98. Take The Money And Run, Steve Miller Band
99. Squeeze Box, The Who - My least favorite Who song - maybe the only one that wouldn't get bolded
100. Country Boy (You Got Your Feet In L.A.), Glen Campbell

Oh, man, the radio must have played "Afternoon Delight" and "Disco Duck" every 10 minutes my freshman year of college!

I think it would be cheating to pick "Got to Get You Into My Life" as my favorite of 1976, since it's at least 10 years older. So, I went with "Bohemian Rhapsody" (always a head nodder) in a close call over "Golden Years" and "Sing a Song".

5 Comments:

  • Is it wrong that I like a lot of the ones you either hated or were indifferent to? Notably Sara Smile and Rhiannon. Of course, I like most of the ones that you like too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/28/2005 9:05 PM  

  • Actually, that's probably the right thing.

    "Rhiannon" is OK, but doesn't click that much with me.

    By Blogger TT, at 8/28/2005 9:25 PM  

  • We're very much of the same mind on the list. I would've left both of the McCartney tunes untouched -- I skip both tracks when I play the Wing's Greatest Hits CD, but while I won't listen to them if given the choice they're just too much fluff for me to actually hate. I have to admit that both "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover" and (here's an admission) The Theme from "Mahogany" (If I'm recalling correctly, it's the "Do you know where you're going to?" tune) would've been bolded, though I do admit that "50 Ways" is a low-end Simon item.

    "I'm Easy" (#72) would've gotten a strike-through.

    Aside from that, though... it's pretty sympatico.

    By Blogger Mike Norton, at 8/28/2005 10:22 PM  

  • Come on! you don't like Dreamweaver! some of the ones you hated would have to be like in the VH1 awesomely bad list for me. I'll have to wait a few months before I can do this though. I imagine there will be alot of strikeouts and indifference.

    By Blogger emperorryno, at 8/29/2005 10:29 AM  

  • Yep, you've at least got to wait for this year to actually end. Then whenever they get a list up.

    You could try your freshman year.

    By Blogger TT, at 8/29/2005 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home