another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Monday, May 19, 2008

Random Notes - 5/19/08

Something small I noticed today: a newer building on my way from home to work (and vice versa) is named CityGate Centre. With the "Centre" spelling obviously meant to make it a bit more exotic and or sophisticated. But I don't think the same thing happens in reverse -- no place in England, Canada, Australia, etc, are likely named "Center" to give it that exotic American feel.

(yes, I know that it does happen in Japan, but that's a bit different)

It's happening: I just got e-mail notice from Amazon that my order had shipped -- the first D&D 4E adventure. So, I'll be able to read a bit and run a game shortly after we get the core rules. I've got LG to play and then prep for first, though, for Last Weekend in Verbobonc.

It's happening: Wizards of the Coast is sponsoring GenCon, so there will certainly be RPGA events there after all. Now to see when they plan to open RPGA event registration, and see if they're ready for a new surge of registrations.

It happened: Ellen and I bought 200 points in Disney Vacation Club on Saturday. We get 200 bonus points that have to be used in the next year at Saratoga Springs Resort (our home resort is Animal Kingdom Villas), so now we need to get into vacation planning mode. Probably (almost certainly) two trips to Disney World in the next about 8 months. I certainly can't complain about that.

It didn't happen: or very nearly didn't. I didn't get any real problem calls when I had the hotline this weekend. The phone rang once, but it was for an issue that wasn't in my area, so I got dismissed from the call quickly. Pretty damn cool.

5 Comments:

  • And, on the spelling stuff, I think we should take that as the clue that the British-ized spelling is viewed as more sophisticated and thus correct. So, I think we should surrender and use "Centre", "colour", and, for that matter "British-ised".

    By Blogger TT, at 5/19/2008 11:26 PM  

  • You beat me to the 4E adventure - I was going to buy it and run it for all interested parties while I'm up this weekend. Of course, this means you'll be running it this weekend, right? :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/21/2008 7:55 AM  

  • Well, let's see if the adventure is even playable if we don't yet have the core rules book. If it is, then .... yeah, possibly.

    By Blogger TT, at 5/21/2008 7:54 PM  

  • Apparently it has "quick start" rules and sample characters to be played now, and it's meant to serve as an intro to the 4E rules, so it should be good to go. Not that the weekend's not full enough, though...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/21/2008 8:20 PM  

  • Yeah, it is completely playable without the books...that was part of the idea of releasing it early (although it was supposed to be a full month early). I have it in my hands right now, and there are 5 quick play characters (their new suggested party size) complete with how to level to 2nd and 3rd (they've made the decisions for you). There is a Dwarf Fighter, a Halfling Rogue, a Human Wizard, a Half-Elf Cleric, and a Dragonborn Paladin.

    By Blogger Matt, at 5/22/2008 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home