another misAdventure

"We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan."

Monday, April 28, 2008

Delays, Delays ....

It took a bit longer getting back from Ottawa than planned...

I was booked on a 7:35 United flight to Chicago on Friday night. That got canceled due to weather in Chicago (it was beautiful all week in Ottawa).

When I confirmed that the flight was canceled, I called my travel agency, and they got United to shift me to a connecting flight that went through Washington, DC, first on an Air Canada flight and then on United.

When I went to check in Air Canada had my name for the flight be didn't have ticket information so that they couldn't check me in until they knew they'd be able to get their money from United for that flight leg. It took about 45 minutes for the Air Canada check-in agent to get the right information from United. It was clear that she knew what she was doing, the United agent didn't seem to understand what the Air Canada agent was telling him. Meanwhile I got to see her deal with a few more minor crises -- the Chinese couple who were en route from Saskatoon to Boston and were not yet reunited with some of their bags, people to took off in entirely the wrong direction after she pointed them where they were to go, etc).

Finally, the ticket situation was cleared up and I got through check-in in time to get some souvenirs for the family at the airport shop and get to my gate a bit early.

Flight to Washington/Dulles went smoothly. It got off essentially on time, and landed maybe a few minutes early.

The flight to Chicago boarded about 20 minutes late, but then after we boarded we sat on the tarmac for about 2.5 hours due to a ground-stop in Chicago. Big storm front that was still moving through Chicago.

Landed in Chicago about 1:45am on Saturday morning.

They didn't tell us which area (conveyor #) the baggage pick-up was, and when we got to baggage claim they had our flight number listed in one area, but the bags actually came off in a different area. That delayed things about a half-hour while I figured out where my suitcase was. At least it arrived - I wasn't confident given the reshuffling of the flights.

Then, when I went to the transit train station to get to the remote parking lot, the trains were all "delayed". It should have taken me 15 minutes to get to my car, but it took more than 45. Got to my car about 3:15. I got home at just before 4am. But, I did get home that night.

And, the trip to Ottawa was very nice and productive. More on that in the next post.


Post a Comment

<< Home